Many common household items are fatally toxic to our pets. If you suspect your pet has ingested any of these products, you should contact your local vet immediately for further advice.
Some human food
Common foods that are toxic to your pets and should never be fed to them include:
• tomatoes (for cats)
• macadamia nuts
• grapes and raisins
• cooked bones
Contains methylxanthines - act as stimulants to pets and can cause high heart rates, muscle tremors, seizures and death.
Low carbohydrate sugar substitute. Often found in chewing gum, toothpaste and baked goods. May cause liver failure and other health issues.
Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol which tastes sweet and is attractive to animals and is deadly if consumed in small amounts.
Many prescription and over the counter medications are toxic to animals. The most common culprits are:
• Paracetamol (pain relief)
• Ibuprofen (anti-inflammatory)
• ADHD medication
Used on pets for flea control or around the house for crawling/ flying bugs. Certain dog only flea treatments are also highly toxic to cats (check the label).
Baits used to kill mice and rats - usually grain based and therefore attract animals. They can cause seizures, internal bleeding and kidney failure.
Snail and Slug Baits
Snail and slug baits come in a variety of forms and may be mixed with other toxins. Baits often claim to be pet safe as they have ‘taste deterrents’, however, these are often ineffective. Ingestion can cause seizures and tissue death of internal organs. There is no antidote, so ingestion may be fatal.
Fertilizers may have additives such as herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, iron, copper and zinc. The effects following ingestion may differ:
• gastrointestinal irritation
• abdominal pain
These can cause corrosive injury to the mouth and insides.
• Cleaning supplies (bleach, detergents etc)
• Liquid potpourri
For more information please consult the RSPCA Knowledge Base.
No results were found