Our animals and staff depend on regular and reliable volunteer assistance. We have a strong commitment to training our staff and volunteers so that the highest of standards are maintained. We therefore ask that our volunteers commit to a regular shift – this helps the volunteer gain the skills required to meet our high standards and allows them to get the most value out of becoming a trusted member of our team. It also ensures that the time and effort put in by our staff in training volunteers is utilised and of benefit to the animals in our care.
* We accept volunteers who are over the age of 16 years (some shelters including the Sydney Yagoona accept volunteers over the age of 18 years). As this requirement may vary between shelters, please check with your local RSPCA Shelter regarding age requirements.
* Not all applicants will be selected for an interview/be successful in their application.
* Waiting list times to become a volunteer vary between shelters.
* Not all volunteer positions are available at all shelters in NSW.
* It is a requirement that all volunteers have an up-to-date Tetanus vaccination before commencing voluntary positions that involve direct contact with animals.
For those people who have read this far and have re-thought the idea of volunteering at a Shelter, there are other ways you can be involved and help animals in need. Please return to our Become a Volunteer area to explore other opportunities for volunteering, or visit our Get Involved section and learn more about events, ways to donate, how to become a member and our current campaigns. Everyone’s contribution is valued!
Please click on the following shelter options for further information: