Some of the most common garden dangers that pets need to be protected from include:
Fertiliser products generally contain varying amounts of nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P) and potassium (K) compounds. Fertilisers may be in a liquid, granular or solid form. They may have additives such as herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, iron, copper and zinc. Because fertilisers are usually a combination of ingredients, the effects following ingestion may differ.
In general, fertilisers cause mild to moderate gastrointestinal irritation which may involve signs such as vomiting, diarrhoea, hypersalivation, lethargy and abdominal pain. In most cases the effects are self-limiting and resolve within 24-48 hours with supportive veterinary care.
Symptoms may be more severe if a large amount of fertiliser is ingested or if additives such as insecticides and iron are part of the fertiliser mix. Some fertilisers contain a significant amount of iron which can result in iron toxicity. Though heavy metals such as iron are generally not readily absorbed into the animal’s system, they can pose a hazard when dogs ingest large amounts. A few fertilisers also contain insecticides such as disulfoton, a highly toxic organophosphate which when ingested can cause a sudden onset of seizures and pancreatitis.
Fertilisers can also be caustic, which irritates the lining of the gastrointestinal tract. In some cases ingestion may lead to gastrointestinal ulceration. Impaction (gastrointestinal blockage) with fertiliser material may also occur in some cases.
Some other types of fertiliser, such as bone meal and blood meal, are attractive to dogs. If they are eaten in large quantities they can cause significant gastrointestinal upset (vomiting, diarrhea, constipation) and possibly pancreatitis. Certain fertilisers may also contain bacterial or fungal toxins which can have serious side effects if ingested.
If you suspect your pet has ingested fertiliser you should contact your local vet immediately for further advice.
Rodent poisons (rat or mouse bait)
These are one of the most common causes of pet poisonings. Most rat and mouse bait products use warfarin-like compounds (anti-coagulants) that kill animals by causing uncontrolled bleeding. All rodent poison products should be used with extreme caution. They are designed to be attractive to animals, so attempts to prevent your pets from accessing baits by placing them in hard to reach places are often unsuccessful. Try substituting poison baits with other more humane methods of pest control (see What is the most humane way to kill rats and mice?)
If you must use rodenticides or insecticides, keep the packets safely locked up and only use them in areas of your property that are inaccessible to your dog, cat and other pets.
If you suspect your pet has ingested a rodent poson or eaten a poisoned rodent, immediate veterinary attention is required.
Snail and slug bait
Metaldehyde is one of the active ingredients in slug and snail baits (molluscicides). Snail and slug baits come in a variety of forms and may be mixed with other toxins. Ingestion can be fatal and there is no antidote. The effects of metaldehyde ingestion include anxiety, elevated heart and respiratory rates, inco-ordination, severe muscle tremors and death. With increased muscular activity, there is an increase in body temperature. Other poisons may be present in snail and slug bait products causing damage to other body systems such as the liver. Immediate veterinary attention is required.
Insecticides such as organophosphates and carbamates are readily available for home and commercial use and are highly toxic to pets. Signs of insecticide poisoning may include: vomiting, diarrhea, hypersalivation, muscle tremors, and seizures and may be fatal. Immediate veterinary attention is required.
Many indoor and outdoor plants are toxic to pets. Some examples include:
Please see the attached article 'Where can I find out about plants that might be poisonous for my pets?'. If you suspect your pet has ingested poisonous plant material or if you are unsure of a plant's toxicity please contact your local vet.
Xylitol - sugar substitute
Tree or plant fruit stones (these may become an intestinal obstruction)
Many garden trees and plants drop fruit stones, berries or seeds. Dogs (and sometimes cats) will eat these parts of the plant. Unfortunately ingestion of fruit stones, berries and seeds can lead to serious intestinal blockages/obstructions which can be fatal. In addition, some fruit stones, berries or seeds may contain toxic compounds which can be poisonous to your pets. Please remove any tree or plant stones/seeds/berries from your garden to prevent pets from ingesting them. Please see the attached article titled 'Where can I find out about plants that might be poisonous for my pets?' for more information.
Garden mulch - cocoa mulch
Cocoa Mulch is also known as 'Cocoa Bean Mulch' or 'Cocoa Shell Mulch' and is used as a mulch in home gardens in some countries. It is a byproduct of the manufacture of cocoa powder and other chocolate products. There have been several reports of pets being poisoned by cocoa mulch in other countries such as the United States and United Kingdom. As far as RSPCA Australia is aware cocoa mulch is generally not available in Australia however, it is possible that some small domestic chocolate manufacturers could sell cocoa shell mulch as a waste product from their chocolate manufacturing process. Therefore, while it is unlikely, it is still possible that a dog could have access to cocoa shell mulch in the Australian context.
All parts of the cocoa bean contain "theobromine", a methylxanthine compound that has similar properties to caffeine and is toxic to dogs and other pets at certain doses. It is this chemical that is the cause of chocolate poisoning, a problem that occurs mainly in pet dogs but also occurs occasionally in pet cats or other pet animals.
The level of theobromine varies with the type of chocolate; baking chocolate and dark chocolate contain the most theobromine. Cocoa bean shells may contain relatively high levels of theobromine, and some reports suggest that, for a medium-sized dog, consuming about 250 grams of mulch could be fatal.
The symptoms of theobromine ingestion vary with the dose consumed. At lower doses, the pet may develop gastrointestinal signs such as vomiting or diarrhea but should recover with supportive veterinary care. If the pet eats a toxic dose the symptoms are more serious involving muscle tremors, restlessness or hyperactivity, elevated heart rates, seizures and possibly death. Symptoms may not develop immediately, but will begin to appear as the toxin is absorbed into the body. Immediate veterinary attention is required.
Unfortunately the chocolate aroma of the mulch makes it a popular choice for gardeners and also highly attractive to pets as something to eat. It is also common for this mulch to develop a coating of mould as it decomposes; depending on the type of mould that develops and this may represent a further risk of mould toxicity to pets.
RSPCA Australia recommends that pet owners do not use any cocoa-containing mulch products.
Any persons using cocoa mulch should ensure that any animals in the area cannot gain access to the cocoa mulch. Please note that cocoa mulch is highly attractive to dogs due to the cocoa scent and flavour so pets may try to access the mulch for e.g. by jumping over fences around garden beds or by breaking open bags kept in sheds. Adequate precautions should be taken.
It is also important to note that there are generally no label warnings about the potential toxicity to pets on the packaging of cocoa mulch so owners may not be aware of the serious risk these products pose to their pets.
This website provides general information which must not be relied upon or regarded as a substitute for specific professional advice, including veterinary advice. We make no warranties that the website is accurate or suitable for a person’s unique circumstances and provide the website on the basis that all persons accessing the website responsibly assess the relevance and accuracy of its content.