RSPCA NSW Blog
Keep Your Pets Safe this Public Holiday
This Australia Day, all RSPCA NSW shelters and facilities will be closed. However, our call centre is open every day for emergencies and animal cruelty reports and can be reached on (02) 9770 7555.
Australia Day means there will be plenty of barbeques, outings and… heat. This summer is sure to be a scorcher, so it’s important to know how to properly care for your pet. Check out our top tips below and make sure you're prepared!
- H2O – make sure your dog has access to plenty of cool water at all times.
- Fireworks safety – a dog’s hearing is 10 times more sensitive than ours. Make sure your pooch has exercised and been fed before the fireworks start to help keep them calm. Where possible, cuddle up close to your dog and enjoy a night of Netflix. Read more about pet fireworks anxiety here.
- Barbeques – don’t give your pet cooked bones or any party foods. Read more about what foods your dog should avoid here.
- Sunscreen – put some animal-friendly sunscreen onto your pooch if you’re spending time in the sun. Buy it here.
- Parties – visiting friends is a busy time, so make sure your pet doesn’t make an escape in all the bustle. Ensure they’re not left unattended or accidently shut into a hot room.
- Water safety – not all dogs can swim well, so be sure to always keep a close eye on them around water. Getting a dog life jacket is a good idea too!
Last modified on