Toxic Plants for Pets
A number of plants are poisonous to pets. These can cause serious illness and even death in some cases. It's important to first check the safety of any plants before your pets have access to them. If you're unsure about the safety of a particular plant, talk to your veterinarian for advice.
The US website 'Pet Poison List' runs a national poisons control centre for pets which includes an online list of the most frequently encountered plants that have been reported as having systemic effects on pets and/or intense effects on the gastrointestinal tract. We recommend bookmarking the list. PET POISON LIST.
If you think your pet has ingested a toxic plant, it may be a medical emergency, so please call an RSPCA veterinary hospital or your local veterinarian.
- WARNING: A special warning must be made regarding lily toxicity in cats. Lily toxicity is an extremely devestating toxicity which, despite the best treatment from veterinarians, causes many cats to die. Asian, Day, Easter, Glory, Japanese Show, Peace, Red, Rubrum, Stargaszer, Tiger and Wood lilies are all toxic to cats. Even ingesting the smallest part of any of the lily plant may cause intoxication and death. Signs of ingestion and poisoning include depression, lathargy and vomiting. If untreated, acute kidney or renal failure may occur. If you suspect that your cat may have injested part of a lily and is showing signs of lily toxicity, please visit your local veterinarian or animal emergency hospital immediately.
How You Can Help
How you can help
Looking to adopt a pet? Search now for dogs, cats and other pets available for rehoming at your local RSPCA.
Browse through thousands of RSPCA approved products. Each purchase will help the RSPCA’s work.
Every donation helps the RSPCA and its volunteers look after animals, whatever the situation.